Monday, September 1, 2014

Soup Time! Yep...in 80 degree weather, I made soup!

I know, I know...I'm crazy, but you all had to know that by now!  The thing I LOVE more than anything about clean eating while staying on a budget is that it forces me to get creative!  This week, my source of inspiration was a gorgeous head of cauliflower that my three year old brought home with him after spending a week with my husband's parents.  Their family owns a farm in Northern Maine, and my little guy went into the field with his grandfather and chose this head of cauliflower special for me!!!  Here are all of my ingredients in this clean, yummy recipe!!!


1 head of cauliflower
2 medium sweet potatoes (the BEST food ever if you ask me)
A carton of organic, low sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon of sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of Light EVOO
A pinch of dried thyme
A shake of paprika

Start by chopping the cauliflower into florets, and cubing the (peeled) sweet potato.  Then, toss them in a large bowl with the EVOO, salt and pepper.  Spread the veggies on a baking sheet (single layer, using two sheets if needed) and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  Stir, then bake for an additional 10 minutes.



Place the cooked veggies in a large, high-powered blender and add 3 cups of the broth, blending well.  Add more if needed in order to reach an even consistency.

Once blended well, place the soup mixture into a large pot, and heat until boiling, whisking in lemon juice, thyme and paprika.  Add more broth as needed to reach your desired consistency, or water if you would prefer!  Some other modifications would be chicken broth, or a homemade stock!  



I just finished a batch, and ended up with six generous portions.  That's six "grab-and-go" meals for this week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment