Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hmmm...What Do I Call This??? Turkey AMAZINGNESS?!?!?!?!

Thanks to a dear foodie friend of mine (you know who you are) I decided to tackle a new dish tonight. I love trying new things; the balance of anxiety over it possibly falling to pieces, with the anticipation of totally rocking it is such an amazing feeling!  In this case, there were some scary moments but in the end, it was perfect!

Here's what you need!

1 package of lean ground turkey
1 medium red pepper, sliced lengthwise or chopped
1-2 cups of chopped spinach
Pesto (a friend of mine gave me a jar of fresh, homemade pesto which is amazing.  Another option would be just some garlic, EVOO and basil, or a natural store-bought pesto)
1/2 cup of feta cheese
1 large zucchini

First, pound the turkey out on a piece of wax paper until it is about 10x12 inches.  Then, spread on the pesto, sprinkle the feta, place the red peppers so they will roll easily (parallel with the short side of the turkey breast) or sprinkle them if you chose to chop, and finish with the chopped spinach.




Using the wax paper to guide the turkey, make a spiral "loaf" by rolling the turkey.  This is where it got scary, and I was SO happy I had the wax paper to guide it along.  I went from the short end, but you could go the other way, just keep in mind how you prepare and place the peppers since they will make rolling difficult if placed in the wrong direction.

Then, place in a pre-heated oven until cooked through, about 30-40 minutes and voila, you have a fabulous, simple weeknight dinner!




This was so amazing, and even my three year old loved it!  Well...he asked to have some of the "bread" and when I told him it was turkey and he insisted he didn't like it, so of course I told him it was bread.  He loves to prove to me that he likes things that I don't expect him to, he just kept saying "see Mama, I like it!"  I need to stop underestimating the taste buds of children!

Then for the side dish...I know you were all wondering what we were going to do with that zucchini.  That's right, zucchini "noodles"!  A few months ago I invested in a spiralizer and it was SO worth it!!!  It's priced around $36 usually, but happened to be on sale for $28 when I got it.  








We ate half of the turkey dish tonight, along with the zucchini "noodles" and have the other half for meals this week!  The one large zucchini made just enough noodles for the four of us, so no extras there.  I really don't like them re-heated, but that's just me.  If you want to have leftovers, definitely make two or more!  Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment